A while back, I posted a pretty good recipe for whole wheat banana bread. I’ve been feeling more adventurous with my baking lately, and have also been trying to eat even more nutritiously, so I decided it was time to give that recipe a revamp, and voila, a more decadent, sweet, satisfying and filling recipe was born.
A few of my inspirations: I’ve been running a lot more (yay!) and drinking a lot less (booo! boring!) so I’m looking for more protein-rich, nutritious foods, and I’m not quite as concerned about fat/calories as I used to be (the upside of running 25 + km per week!). So I incorporated some hemp protein powder, other good things like flax seed and unsweetened applesauce, and a delicious honey-nut glaze topping, and the result is really fantastic. J and I enjoyed two thick slices each while still warm, although one would’ve prolly been enough. :)
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup ground flaxseed
-2 tsp baking soda
-2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp pure vanilla extract
-3/4 cup hemp protein powder
-1 cup brown sugar Splenda
-1/4 cup butter
-1/4 cup canola oil
-1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
-3 mashed bananas
-3 tbsp honey
-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
-1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Mix all dry ingredients together (Flour, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, protein powder, cinnamon) and set aside
2. Cream butter, Splenda, oil and vanilla together, set aside
3. Mash banana and stir in apple sauce, add to dry mixture along with sugar/butter mixture.
4. Add in egg, stir together, and pour (although the consistency will be quite thick) into loaf pan.
5. Bake at 350. After about 10 minutes, remove from oven. Drizzle honey over top of loaf, then sprinkle chopped nuts and brown sugar on top. Place bake in oven and bake for another 50 minutes.
6. Make sure to cool before serving, loaf is very dense and moist.